Treasurer (Volunteer/Virtual/Open to QLD Residents)
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Furry Friends Animal Rescue Organisation QLD (FFARQ) is a not-for-profit organisation that promotes animal welfare by providing temporary foster homes for homeless pets, adopting them to qualified homes. FFARQ operates remotely, with animals being carefully placed with volunteer Foster Carers until they are adopted.
Our aim is to desex, vaccinate, microchip and where necessary, rehabilitate companion animals whilst they are in the safety and comfort of a loving foster home. This all happens before offering them for adoption to suitable forever homes.
Our desire is to minimise the large number of animals euthanised every year in pounds and shelters. We want to educate the general public of the importance of responsible pet ownership and make them aware of the importance of desexing. We want to help reduce the numbers of unwanted litters of puppies and kittens which adds to the already overcrowded pounds and shelters.
Position Title Treasurer
Reports To President
The Treasurer oversees the financial and legal matters of Furry Friends Animal Rescue Queensland in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements of the organisation.
This role will ensure that effective financial measures and non-financial measures (KPI’s), procedures and controls are in place for the organisation as a whole and for all Furry Friends Animal Rescue Queensland departments.
• Work with the President to develop and implement Treasury systems and procedures that will improve the relevance, quality and accuracy of statutory and management reporting.
• Lead and inspire a team of staff to deliver on challenging administrative goals.
• Liaise with external advisors such as the organisation’s Tax Accountant, Auditor and Legal Advisor
• Prepare annual departmental income and expenses budgets in conjunction with the President and Team Leaders
• Manage the general overhead budget and monitor and report on expenditure
• Manage and support the organisation’s Accounting System, Xero
• Produce and present departmental reports to the Executive Committee
• Produce and present the Executive Committee Quarterly Report to the Executive Committee
• Identify opportunities for, and implement, continuous process improvements
• Develop and implement Treasury policies and procedures
• Develop and nurture internal and external relationships to deliver on the organisation’s strategic plan
• Prepare and facilitate the implementation of the Organisation’s Business Plan
• Other administrative and financial duties as required
• Attending the weekly team “virtual” meeting (one evening per week).
Key Performance Indicators
KPI’s will be set through discussion and agreement between the incumbent and his/her line manager. Those shown below are indicative only.
KPI Evidence Review Period
1. Ensure that general overhead expenditure is monitored and controlled Expenditure does not exceed the annual approved budget Quarterly
2. Assist the President and Team Leaders to manage and control their Departments efficiently and within budget Regular periodical reports are provided by the agreed due dates (TBA) Quarterly
3. Develop Treasury Policies and Procedures Nominated Policies and Procedures are completed by the agreed due dates (TBA) Quarterly
4. Produce and present a departmental report at the end of each month A departmental report is produced and presented at the end of each month Quarterly
• Diploma of Accounting is essential
• Tertiary qualifications in accounting and relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and education/training is desirable
• Minimum 5 years relevant experience in an accounting role, preferably in a not-for-profit
• Minimum 2 years experience using MYOB or Xero for accounts payable and receivable
• At least 2 years experience using Paypal to process payments and receipts
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• High level written and verbal communication and presentation skills
• High level organisational skills, keen attention to detail and self-motivated
• Ability to influence and negotiate with a range of stakeholders
• Ability to lead and motivate a team towards achievement of goals and create a positive team culture
• Ability to work collaboratively with cross functional teams
• Demonstrated ability to problem solve and implement solutions
• High level knowledge of MYOB or Xero
• Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and/or Google Docs.
• Prior experience working for not-for-profits or social enterprises will be highly regarded.
Workplace Health and Safety Responsibilities
• Participate in the FFARQ e-learning induction module
• Uphold all FFARQ occupational health and safety policies, procedures
• Follow correct safe work practices ensuring:
• A safe ‘virtual’ home office working environment
• Safe manual handling and lifting techniques are adhered to always
• Notify FFARQ immediately of any Health and Safety issues that come to attention, so risks can be assessed, and appropriate control measures can be implemented
FFARQ is committed to the health, safety and wellbeing of its staff. FFARQ and its volunteer staff must comply with a range of statutory requirements, including equal opportunity, occupational health and safety, privacy and trade practice. FFARQ also expects staff to comply with its policy and procedures, which relate to statutory requirements and our ways of working. Appointees are accountable for completing training on these matters and ensuring their knowledge is up to date.
• ALL members of the treasury team must become members of the organisation which will incur a $20.00 fee which covers relevant insurances and allows access to the organisation’s bank accounts. A membership link will be provided in on-boarding email. See ‘On-boarding email - Treasury Assistant’ document.
• Treasurer’s can only be voted in at AGM’s by voting members. Member details can be confirmed
by the President.
• This role is primarily virtual or home-based
• You will require (at your own expense) a reliable computer, mobile phone, internet and anti- virus; as well as a Facebook account (or the ability to create an account).
• Applicants must be eligible to live and work in Australia
• Minimum commitment of 5 hours per week
• Optional: If you are located within SE Queensland and would like to assist with foster carer visits in your local area, and/or with the transfer of fosters, a class C driver’s license and a reliable vehicle is required.
• All volunteers within FFARQ must have integrity, respect for others and their time; and a passion to contribute to their role and the overarching goals of the team
• Honesty and Reliability - You will be working on your own as a virtual volunteer with minimal supervision, so your integrity is important.
• Respect for others and their time - Everyone is going above and beyond their usual responsibilities to volunteer so be respectful.
• Love for animals and a need to contribute - Above anything else, it is passion that will help you be successful and commit to this role
A minimum commitment of 6-months is required. All applicants must be able to commit a minimum of 5 hours per week to the role. These hours are flexible, so long as the organisational needs are met.
**Please share your resume and brief note about any work/associations with animals**